Ruckus ZoneDirector™ 3000
Power Meets Simplicity — Smart Wireless LAN Controller.
Now, any organization with a limited IT staff and budget can quickly and inexpensively create a highly-secure wireless LAN (WLAN) — with ZoneDirector 3000. Capable of centrally managing up to 500 ZoneFlex 802.11g and 802.11n Smart Wi-Fi access points (APs), ZoneDirector 3000 is designed for ease of use, high performance, and low cost of ownership. Ruckus Smart Redundancy ensures high network availablity and is easy to use with automatic synchronization of configuration and authorized users between ZoneDirectors.
Smart/OS Software Suite and Application Engine
- Provides WLAN-wide network, security, RF, and location management.
- SmartMesh wireless meshing automates deployment, eliminates the need to run Ethernet cable to every Smart Wi-Fi access point
- Adaptable Hybrid SmartMesh extends the wireless network through Ethernet-connected APs
- Elegant guest networking without the hassle
- Dynamically-generated Pre-Shared Keys (PSK) that are automatically installed on clients
- Support for 802.1x, LDAP (captive portal), native Active Directory, and RADIUS authentication with dynamic VLAN assignment
- Multi-site authentication to scale large deployments
- Automatic traffic redirection using WISPr for multi-site authentication for large-scale deployments
- Minimizes erratic Wi-Fi behavior, enabling uninterrupted voice calls, through the use of Layer 3 tunneling and using key caching techniques when roaming
- Bandsteering, load balancing, and airtime fairness to optimize Wi-Fi spectrum
- Users access policies provide rich WLAN control
- Traffic thresholds for users on a specific SSID to ensure fairness
- Maximizes data throughput by sending all data traffic directly from the access points to the wired network
- Aeroscout location services support
Easy to Deploy and Manage
- Seamless integration with existing switches, firewalls, authentication servers and other network infrastructure
- Can be placed within any Layer 2/3 network
- Automatically discovers and configures ZoneFlex APs
- Automatically adjusts AP transmit power levels and RF channel assignments to avoid interference and enable redundant coverage
- Dynamic RF controls over transmit power and channel assignments
- Supports 32 unique WLANs mapped to specific APs or VLANs
- Installs in minutes with intuitive web-based wizard
- Customizable dashboard provides instant access to a variety of client and network information and events
- Real-time heat map displays AP locations and signal coverage, and Smart Mesh Networking topology
- SpeedFlex allows administrators to locally or remotely determine client Wi-Fi performance
- Unmatched total cost of ownership
- Provides features not found in costlier WLAN systems
- Requires little IT time
ZoneDirector 3000 integrates seamlessly with existing switches, firewalls, authentication servers, and other network equipment, and can be placed within any Layer 2/3 network. All Ruckus ZoneFlex APs (wired or meshed) then automatically discover ZoneDirector, self configure, and become instantly manageable. What could be easier? Nothing.
Once ZoneDirector 3000 is up and running, it automatically manages ZoneFlex APs, adjusting transmit power levels and RF channel assignments to prevent adjacent APs from interfering, and providing redundant coverage if an AP fails. Configuration changes can easily be applied to multiple APs, or to the entire system, simultaneously. A customizable dashboard provides instant access to client and network information and events, and a real-time heat map displays AP locations and signal coverage, as well as Smart Mesh Networking topology.
The Ruckus Mobility module delivers faster and more secure Wi-Fi roaming for Voice over IP (VoIP) as well as data applications. A simple software license for the Ruckus ZoneOS (version 7.0 and higher), the Ruckus Mobility module adds key capabilities to the Ruckus ZoneFlex line of Smart Wireless controllers such as wireless LAN tunneling for voice over Wi-Fi applications and 802.1X fast roaming.
The Ruckus Mobility module minimizes erratic Wi-Fi behavior by enabling uninterrupted voice calls through the use of Layer 3 tunneling and using key caching techniques when roaming across ZoneFlex 802.11g/n access points (AP) to minimize roaming delays.
Unique Performance Utility.
ZoneDirector 3000 integrates SpeedFlex™, which allows administrators to locally or remotely determine client Wi-Fi performance. With SpeedFlex, administrators can better plan, troubleshoot, monitor, and measure WLAN performance.
Streamlined, Bulletproof Security.
ZoneDirector 3000 supports enterprise-class 802.1x with any backend authentication database, such as RADIUS and ActiveDirectory, and also comes with an internal authentication database. First-time ZoneDirector users simply plug their computers into the WLAN, and specify a URL that directs them to a captive web portal for first-time authentication. Then, ZoneDirector automatically configures the client system with the designated SSID and a dynamically-generated encryption key that centralizes authentication and authorization decisions for all APs, providing secure admission control across the WLAN.
Better Quality Of Service With Fewer APs.
Leveraging Smart Wi-Fi technology that provides extended range and dynamic signal controls, ZoneDirector 3000’s Smart Mesh Networking:
- Minimizes inter-nodal hops that degrade performance
- Automatically adapts Wi-Fi connections between nodes to environmental changes
- Automatically controls the channel assignments and transmit power of all ZoneFlex Smart Wi-Fi APs
- Guest pass generation
- Fast roaming
- Distributed forwarding
The result? Fewer APs need to be deployed. And with BeamFlex, the ZoneFlex system continuously picks the best path for every packet, to clients outside the network and mesh APs inside the network.
Physical Characteristics Power
- 220 watt internal power supply
- 100 – 250V AC Universal, IEC 320 connector
Physical Size 1RU: 35.52 cm (L), 43.18 cm (W), 4.39 cm (H) Weight 14 lbs (6.37 kilograms) Ethernet Ports 2 ports, auto MDX, auto-sensing 10/100/1000 Mbps, RJ-45 Environmental Conditions Operating temperature: 41°F (5°C) – 104°F (40°C) Capacity Managed APs Up to 500 WLANs (BSSIDs) 1,024 Concurrent Stations Up to 10,000 Applications Hotspot WISPr Guest Access Supported Captive Portal Supported Mesh Supported Voice
- Tunneling to AP
Network Architecture IP IPv4, IPv6, dual-stack VLANs 802.1Q (1 per BSSID), dynamic VLAN Redundancy 1+1 with auto-synchronization DHCP Server Supported Management Configuration Web user interface, CLI, FlexMaster™, SNMP v1, v2, v3 AAA RADIUS (primary and backup) AP Provisioning
- L2 or L3 auto-discovery
- Auto-software upgrade
- Automatic channel and power optimization
- Auto proxy configuration
Wireless Packet Capture RADIUS (primary and backup) Security Standards WPA, WPA2, 802.11i Authentication 802.1X, MAC address Encryption
- WEP, TKIP, AES
- Ruckus Dynamic Pre-Shared Key
- Internal database up to 10,000 users
- External: RADIUS, LDAP, Active Directory
- L2 (MAC address-based)
- L3/4 (IP and Protocol based)
- L2 client isolation
- Management interface access control
- Time-based WLANs
Wireless Intrusion Detection (WIDS)
- Rogue AP detection
- DoS attack prevention
- Evil-twin/AP spoofing detection
- Ad hoc detection
- Password guessing protection
Multimedia and Quality of Service 802.11e/WMM Supported Software Queues Per traffic type (4), per client Traffic Classification Automatic, heuristics and TOS based or VLAN-defined Rate Limiting Supported WLAN Prioritization Supported Client Load Balancing Automatic Certifications Certifications
- U.S., Europe, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, UAE, Uruguay, Vietnam
- Wi-Fi Alliance Certification (Wi-Fi Certified™)
- Customer Videos
- Data/Feature Sheets
- Case Studies
- White/Black Papers
- Application Notes
- Product Info