Cable MSO Services
Smarter Wi-Fi Helps MSOs Extend Branded Broadband Services, Offer Community Wi-Fi and Wholesale Wireless Capacity over Existing Cable Plant
As Internet-ready wireless mobile devices continue their torrid growth, cable operators around the world are looking to capitalize. But buying licensed spectrum is an expensive proposition riddled with delays and complexity.
The problem is that while many of these MSOs have extensive cable and fiber plant and millions of subscribers, they don’t have much wireless. But that’s an opportunity, not a problem.
With advances in smarter Wi-Fi, cable MSOs are aggressively looking to:
- Expand existing branded broadband services beyond the home or their regional coverage area
- Be more competitive against wireless broadband providers
- Increase subscribers while reducing churn
- Offer branded mobility service to existing subscribers
- Generate new sources of revenue by offering new wireless services such as Community Wi-Fi to small and medium business or even
- Wholesale wireless capacity to MVNOs
The combination of smart Wi-Fi with adaptive antennas, smart meshing and dual-band 802.11n now makes this possible.
But operating in the unlicensed spectrum doesn’t come without some materials risks: the higher likelihood of radio interference and performance degradation from other Wi-Fi devices. The ideal Wi-Fi system for MSOs should include (among other things):
- Indoor and outdoor access points and feature-rich controllers that are insanely easy to deploy
- An integrated DOCSIS and EURODOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
- Active interference mitigation
- extended signal range
- monitoring of real-time client performance
- adaptive and resilient mesh backhaul links
- best signal path and channel selection based on actual capacity measurements
- 802.11u support
Enter Ruckus Wireless
Ruckus offers cable MSOs a complete range of indoor and outdoor smart Wi-Fi products based on patented, critically acclaimed technology that delivers an industry best performance and reliability.
Our MSO product line includes:
- strand-mounted outdoor dual-band 802.11n access points with an integrated cable modem
- outdoor pole or wall mounted 802.11n access points with a range of different internal antenna array options
- long-range, point-to-point and point-to-multipoint 802.11 (5GHz) bridges, and
- a full range of indoor products
To learn more about Wi-Fi performance requirements and integration into the MSOs core network architecture, read our whitepaper, “Wireless Mesh Networks and MSO Positioning for Pico Cellular Networks.”
- Data Sheets
- White Papers